Manchester Fear of Public Speaking
As a member of Toastmasters public speaking group I know that for many speaking in public is one of the biggest fears Manchester residents possess. People at one point in their life need to know the skills to speak publicly from being the best-man at the a wedding to delivering a presentation i a job interview.
Speaking in Public Confidently
A key part in public speaking confidence, is knowing what you want to say. The technique below will help your unconscious mind create public speaking confidence, but to excel in front of an audience you need to practice, practice and practice.
For many the fear of public speaking creates procrastination; the fear stops you practicing. But without practice the fear of getting it wrong increases, doubling your anxiety creating more procrastination.
By attending a speaking club such as toastmasters or attending speaking confidence sessions with a confidence coach/hypnotherapist first encourages you to practice your speech more, but even better it allows to be confident about making mistakes. People are often fearful about “getting it wrong” even during practice periods. A great technique is to get wrong and to learn from these mistakes, you can actually create strategies from these mistakes which help if your speech goes wrong on the key delivery day.
The key to public speaking is confidence. The technique below will boost your confidence encouraging you to deliver your best public speaking performance.
A Technique To Boost Confidence in Public Speaking
- First imagine that you are giving a speech to a large group. Visualise yourself as if you are there now. How does this image make you feel? Most people would feel high anxiety. Naturally in the weeks and days coming up to a public speaking event, people with a fear of public speaking will create this same image in their mind unconsciously, building up the anxiety and fear. By the time the public speaking event happens, the fear from these simple visualisations has taken over and the speech fails.
- To get over the fear, first pause the image. Step back and see the image as a picture, not a movie. if the image is in colour, turn it black and white.
- Start, slowly at first to move the image further and further away towards the horizon. With each step back, notice the difference you feel. As the image gets smaller, the further away it goes, have you notice that the fear reduces.
- Next image yourself being really confident and popular as a public speaker. If you have spoke confidently at some previously, remember this time now. If not, just image yourself as a confident speaker.
- For most people this image is in the distance. Start to bring this image forward, and let it get bigger as it nears you.
- Turn the image to colour and make it big and bright, turn up the colour. If you can hear people cheering and clapping, turn the volume up.
- Let the picture get so big and close, the it takes over you and you step into the image and see yourself as a confident public speaker, from the eyes of the confident version of you. See what you can see, hear what you can hear and feel that confidence overwhelm you. Start to enjoy yourself public speaking, realise how the audience see you – as a confident, fun and interesting public speaker. Look around the audience, notice the smiles and interest. How does it feel, being a confident speaker now.
- Repeat the above 3-6 times or until the negative image shrinks quickly and the confident image gets big and you feel confident within seconds.
As a public speaker at Manchester International Toastmasters, I speak to large groups on a regular basis and whenever I need to boost my confidence I use the above techniques. As a public speaker at Manchester Toastmasters, I know that you will always feel nerves before a speech, and these are good nerves, never crippling. Nerves can help you improve your performance and will give you an extra thrill at the end of the speech.
As we said at the beginning of the article, practising makes perfect. By practising your speech on a regular basis, making edits along the way, your confidence will grow. The techniques above, will boost your confidence, giving you the winning performance to wow your audience.
Chris Delaney NLP Life Coach, Hypnotherapist and Career Advisor is available for booking for One to One Private Sessions, Group Training Sessions and Public Speaking Events
Other People Who Read This Article Also Read:
Chris Delaney Specialise in:
FREE Life Coaching Downloads
Coach Yourself To Success; Reduce Low Self Esteem and Increase Confidence
Train to Be a life Coach and Make Money as a part time or full time Coach
101 Life Coaching Tools and Techniques