3 Ways to Evolve Your Mind
Your mind runs automatically, playing out habits, patterns and automated responses. This part of the brain that is in constant operation, helping you to breath, walk, control your internal temperature without conscious thought.
The automated part of your mind is where where our fight and flight response is activated, where phobias are formed and it is where our emotional responses are associated to external stimulus.
Often the habits you form, the reactions you previously created and the old emotional response to a stimulus is out dated or no longer useful. When this happens, you need to evolve the brain, teaching it a new automated response, a new habit and new subconscious pattern.
Evolve Your Mind – 1
Break the pattern.
The mind is programmed with an automatic response; stimulus – emotional response – action.
As an example of this is the stimulus “job Interview” which can create, for many people, the emotional response “fear” When a negative emotional response is strong enough it can result in a negative action or non action, in this case “not attending the interview”
By breaking the automated pattern (which is a learnt behavior) you can take a conscious action to change your response.
To break a pattern you need to add an action between stimulus and emotional response. This can be anything that is out of the ordinary, just to create a break in pattern. Examples include
- silly dance
- taking deep breaths
- changing your posture
- asking yourself a random question
This creates a break in the subconscious pattern which allows you to create a new emotional response, which you can then associate to the stimulus.
Evolve Your Mind – 2
Disassociate yourself from the perceived situation.
When we worry, we often take a negative perspective of the perceived situation. In the job interview situation, you will imagine the interview going terrible, you see yourself making mistakes and you imagine yourself not being able to answer any question.
This daydream feels real as you feel associated to the image (people often imagine the situation from their own eyes) To disassociate;
- imagine moving the image away from your minds eye
- pause the movie in your mind
- drain the colour from the image
- keep moving the black and white image away from your minds eye, the more you move it away the more disassociated you will feel, draining the negative emotional association.
Evolve Your Mind – 3
Focus on the desired feeling
Once you break the program and disassociate you can create a new emotional response.
What you focus on you feel. If you focus on the interview going terrible and you see yourself looking nervous, you will feel nervous. If you focus on yourself being highly confident you will feel confident. By focusing on confidence and the stimulus (interview) you will create a new association; interview = confidence
- choose a positive emotion; confidence, calmness, joy
- focus on this emotion; where is it in your body? what does it feel like, what direction does it travel in? does it have a temperature?
- imagine the strength of the emotion getting stronger and stronger
- once at its peak, think about the the situation you want to associate this emotion to, by imagining yourself in this situation, feeling the desired emotion
Chris Delaney NLP Life Coach, Hypnotherapist and Career Advisor is available for booking for One to One Private Sessions, Group Training Sessions and Public Speaking Events
Chris Delaney is also a published author “The 73 Rules of Influencing the Interview – using Psychology, NLP and Hypnotic Persuasion Techniques”
Other People Who Read This Article Also Read:
- Creating Milton Model Scripts
- Google Brain Therapy
- The Neuroscience of Phobias
- Mindfulness, NLP and Hypnosis
Chris Delaney Specialise in:
FREE Life Coaching Downloads
Train to Be a life Coach and Make Money as a part time or full time Coach
101 Life Coaching Tools and Techniques
DIDSBURY: 4 Birley Park, Didsbury, Manchester, M20 2TL
MANCHESTER: The Triangle, 37 Exchange Square, Manchester M4 3TR
E-MAIL: firstname.lastname@example.org for more information
- Hypnosis and Life Coaching for smoking in Didsbury
- Hypnosis and Life Coaching for weight loss in Didsbury
- Hypnosis and Life Coaching for fears and phobias in Didsbury
- Hypnosis and Life Coaching for self esteem in Didsbury
- Hypnosis and Life Coaching for anxiety in Didsbury
- Hypnosis and Life Coaching for alcoholism in Didsbury
- Hypnosis and Life Coaching for confidence in Didsbury
- Hypnosis and Life Coaching for goals in Didsbury
Hypnotherapy and Life Coaching in Didsbury is easily located for people living in and around Stockport, Manchester, Tameside, Chorlton and Didsbury, as we are just off the M60